Wednesday, May 8, 2013

why we need friends

At work, I am a square peg.  I don't quite fit in.  I'm too loud, too fun, too -- everything.  I ultimately think that these qualities have a good impact on the work place.
 
Sometimes I feel a bit "picked on" because my foibles stand out a bit more than those of the next 10 people.
 
today, I was pulled aside and told to clean my desk "before somebody says something."
Um, but you just said something...
 
So I complained to my friend K.
 
Me:   They told me to clean my desk AGAIN!
K:      again?

Me:   And I look down the aisles at some of the desks here and think REALLY?  I need to clean my desk?!   Why is the standard different for me?  Like I used to get picked on for things I wore and now there's that one girl and she dresses so unprofessional.  Does anybody say anything to her?

K:     That I don't know.

Me:   Oh no, K! I've become one of THEM!!!

K: 




 
Me: 

 
 
 
 
They've gotten under my skin and I'm becoming...
ack...
corporate!
 
K:    Come on... don't be a douche canoe*
(insert very loud 1 note laughter as I catch myself from being "inappropriate" at work)
 
Me:  did you hear that?
OMG...
I totally LOL'd
 
K:  thought so
 
B:  now I'm crying!
oh man!
I applaud your perfection!
 
K:  I try, sometimes I'm on.
 
Me:  OK, all that stress -- gone!
 
K:  YAY!
K:   wait til the day they come to you and say you don't look busy enough because there's nothing on your desk
 
 
*you're welcome!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment